Sunday, October 16, 2011

GREEN AND GOLD (OFFICIAL GREEN BAY PACKER) SALSA




This year I had an over abundance of green tomatoes left on my vines.They are so beautiful, I had to come up with some way to use them. First I thought green tomato salsa. 
I got all the ingredients for a recipe I had, and as I put the tomatoes in the pot, the Packers scored a touchdown. The rest is history, Packer salsa was born. I couldn't get green and gold ingredients out of my head.
The biggest problem I found with green tomatoes is that they are very bland. Hence the reason for all the seasoning in my recipe.






Yield: 10 pints OR 5quarts


No, you don't have to blanch the green tomatoes - no peeling either.


10cups chopped green tomatoes 
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped yellow peppers
1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapenos
6 cups chopped onions
1 cup  lime juice
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ground turmeric
3 Tbsp oregano leaves chopped fine

1 cup chopped cilantro chopped fine
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1package Mrs. Wages salsa mix

2 Tablespoons Tajin fruit spice /seasoning
2 lb. bag frozen corn
1/2 cup sugar
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.
Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix 4 oz