Saturday, March 3, 2018

INSTAPOT/ CROCKPOT HOMEMADE MAPLE SYRUP DIY

My glam kids are having a lesson on where food ...natural food that is comes from...I remember my grandma teaching me where syrup comes from, and how it is made, along with making butter from heavy cream in a mason jar...I was sooo excited to shake that jar every time I went to visit...hmmmm let's see would you rather have...

Fake Syrup
 Ingredients: corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, contains less than 2% salt, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, citric acid. 

OR

Pure maple syrup is made out of Maple sap. That’s it! 

This is my tutorial on how to do small batches of maple syrup. I have a very large tree....just one...but I can tap it 4 times , which yields enough syrup for my husband and I...

Home made maple syrup provides calcium, riboflavin niacin, and zinc .Maple syrup is made by boiling and straining the sap from maple trees, most often the sugar maple, however my tree is a Silver maple, and tastes just as wonderful. 

As a general rule...the best time to tap your trees are when you have warmer day-time temperatures{around 40 degrees} but still cooler nights {near freezing}, you’ll start to get good sap flow. Here in Wisconsin that tends to be around late February early March through about April.



 The conversion from sap to syrup is somewhere around 40 to 1, more or less depending on the concentration of the sap. So one gallon of sap would  yield somewhere around a third of a cup or so of actual syrup.


My idea for doing small batches at home is to use a crockpot. Boiling sap requires some serious attention to prevent scorching.A crock-pot  eliminates that concern completely. 


Step 1: Drill a hole about 2 inches deep that is slightly smaller in diameter than your tap. You’ll want to drill at a slight upward angle and on the south facing side of the tree.I marked on my drill bit 2 1/2 inches, so I was sure not to drill too deep. Clean any sawdust out with your finger.




Step 2: Hammer in your taps or “spiles”.I used these 3/8 by 6 inch nipple thingys as they were all out of spiles at Fleet Farm...I connected regular 5/8 inch pvc tubing to that ...easy peasy, and way cheaper also..


Step 3: Attach container to your tap. If you’re using a hose/tap combination like I use, then just run the tubing into the container (I drilled a hole in the  mason jar ie. container’s lid to easily feed the tube through). I then hung the wired jar to the tree via a long screw..I also used regular bottle for a couple taps also...use whatever you have handy, as long as they are clean and sterile.I run everything thru my dishwasher prior to tapping.


Step 4: Start to boil your sap down. My crock will simmer on high .  I Fill it, turn it on high  with the lid slanted but you can do it without the lid, BUT you may get sap on your counter via the steam, so put some paper towel down . Every so often add more sap  as I collect it from my tree. It  takes a while but its not like you have to watch it 24/7.
             ******************************************
INSTAPOT RECIPE...
                                                    You will need:
  • 1 gallon  fresh tree sap
  • 6 quart Instant Pot
  • 10-12 hours of time
  1. Turn your Insta Pot on Saute'.
  2. Strain the sap and pour it in the Instant Pot, leave it on saute for the whole 30 minute cycle.
  3. Once the 30 minute cycle is up it should be almost boiling, immediately switch the Instant Pot to slow cook-high heat (labled MORE) and set the time for 10 hours
  4.  Let it do it’s thing,
  5. When it hits the 2 cup mark on the Instant Pot inner pot ..keep an eye on it
  6. It’s done when it’s a lovely golden  color and you dip a spoon in the syrup, it holds a drip at the end.
  7. let it cool

Processing your Syrup for Storage
Filter syrup into a canning jar.
I like using a t-shirt or cheesecloth. Muslin or any other filtering material is fine. Once you place the lid on the canning jar it will self seal as it cools off...

Store away and enjoy! 

Note:
Fresh sap can spoil within a day or two (becomes cloudy, sour). Store syrup in an airtight container and place in a cool place. This syrup can become moldy. To store for extended periods, the syrup should be sterilized. 


Kiddos Maple Syrup Candy

MAPLE SYRUP CANDY IS EASY TO MAKE IN JUST A FEW STEPS!

 Boil real maple syrup until it reaches 250 degrees, right below the hard ball stage on the candy thermometer. Heating the maple syrup under 250 degrees will make softer candy. Heating it over 250 degrees will make hard candy. Drizzle over crushed ice or snow...the syrup will instantly harden...ENJOY!!